Saturday, July 28, 2012

Making herbal vinegars for Christmas Gifts

While waiting for other fruits and vegetables to ripen, I decided to put together some herbal vinegars for making Christmas gifts.  From my garden I chose a few herbs.
Inspired by a vacation in Italy, my new outer wrappings for the vinegars:



Also have a label for my inspired by France for Le Petit Jardin.

I cleaned the herbs and put them in the glass jars, added vinegar and capped with wax paper (vinegar interacts with metal, I am told).  I put them away and in six weeks, they should be good, if I shake gently every now and then.  After six weeks, I will strain via cheesecloth and pack into sterilized decorative bottles.  I already bought some bottles from Italy. 

Italian Oregano
Basil
Lemon Verbena

Then, I used a recipe from Taste of Home
for making Cranberry Orange Vinegar.  This sounded so good, so I wanted to practice before the cranberry crop comes in this fall.  I used frozen Ocean Spray Cranberries from last winter.  Same thing with this, will let steep and keep an eye on it.  When it's ready can put into decorative sterilized glass jars and label with
a nice tag and ribbon or twine.  Will post pictures when ready.

Going to use red white check gingham waxed paper for the American ones, like cranberry.



No comments:

Post a Comment